Thursday, February 7, 2008

My XM Radio Mocks Me

My XM mocks me. It has a memory function that is supposed to let me know whenever a song I like that I've marked with the memory button is playing on another channel -- but mine never worked right. In the beginning, I didn't realize it wasn't working, and I'd hit "memory" whenever a good song came on. Occasionally, I'd also hit memory by mistake when I was trying to change the preset band. One of the times I hit memory by mistake, the song "Everybody Plays the Fool" was on, and I know this because that is the ONLY song that my XM ever reminds me of.

But I haven't given up. Even now, Mr. Mister (for example) will come on and I'll hit the memory button. I mean, I kind of know it's not going to happen. It's an exercise in futility, but I do it anyway. I keep thinking that one of these days, maybe it will fix itself.

I called XM and they said I'd have to reset the entire device, and reenter all my presets, to attempt to fix the problem. Like I have time for that. There's 30 presets.

And so, every so often, "Everybody Plays the Fool" comes on somewhere in the XM universe, and I hear the mild-mannered beep that is my XM taunting me another time.

No comments: