Monday, January 7, 2008

Kids These Days and Their Music

I'm wondering if my musical tastes are becoming irrelevant. My 12-year-old niece made her disdain clear for my music when we visited family over the Christmas holiday. She named Akon, Sean Kingston and Soulja Boy as her faves these days. She even did the Soulja Boy "Crank Dat" dance, which I hadn't even known existed until that point. And to me, Sean Kingston's voice makes me think "busboy," not "Grammy winner."

Tonight, driving home in the balmy evening weather, I found myself rocking out to the following grab bag of songs as I channel surfed around XM:
  • The Way I Are, Timbaland -- this may have been cool six months ago, but I'm pretty sure the kids are over it.
  • Boondocks, Little Big Town -- funny how I started listening to country music when I lived in New York City.
  • Lady, Little River Band -- I enjoyed this far more than I should have, considering it was a hit around my kindergarten year. But this reminds me, I need to download Lady and a few other LRB songs to my iPod. And yeah, I'm not ashamed to admit that "The Night Owls" is one of them.
It's official -- I'm old.

No comments: