Monday, May 12, 2008

Pour Your Misery Down on I-66

I took one of my lengthy back routes to the Fairfax County Parkway this morning to avoid the flooding that so often causes massive backups on that little-known but much-abused highway that never makes the cut for the traffic reports unless the asphalt catches fire or something on it actually explodes. Tooling along in the continued downpour and listening to XM, I cranked up the opening strains of Garbage's "I'm Only Happy When It Rains," an apropos song for this morning.

As I made my way across the I-66 overpass, I looked down and deeply pitied the thousands of people pointed east but sitting at a complete stop -- it looked much worse than usual. At the very moment I glanced down at the traffic jam, over my radio came the lyrics: "pour your misery down on me."

Indeed.

2 comments:

KH99 said...

How funny! I love it when stuff like that happens.

sara said...

Oh, traffic can suck sometimes. But that song at that time is sure funny! I got stuck on my way home from an appointment today for an hour because I didn't pay attention to a new summer construction project. Lesson learned, I'll definitely have to find a new route!