Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Back to (Paid) Work

On Monday I head back to work. I like my job, and I am not exactly dreading my return. I know things will be different, because I'll be highly motivated to get my work done and get the heck home -- not as much socializing with coworkers, and I might be calling in to (versus attending in person) those late-afternoon meetings that can stretch into the dinner hour. I do want to go back to work. But I wish I could have more time with Lexie, too. And my full salary. A girl can dream...

We have hired a great professional nanny for Lexie while we're at work. Because of Lexie's prematurity and resulting weak immune system, she can't go to daycare like a regular kid. I've spent much of today trying to iron out our nanny tax situation. Suffice it to say I now feel more sympathetic to those who don't bother to pay their nanny taxes. It's not easy to figure out. But we are doing the right thing and staying above the law.

The nanny has been here all week, and I've been in and out. It's kind of awkward and I keep wanting to swoop in and gather up my little baby when she cries (like right now), but intellectually I know that's not the right thing to do. I know Lexie will be better off with a nanny than in daycare, because she'll get constant one-on-one attention, but I might be feeling just a little bit jealous of the nanny.

We'll see how it goes.

6 comments:

caitsmom said...

I can't imagine how hard it is to not sweep in. Hope all goes well. And work is good to you. Peace.

areyoukiddingme said...

I would totally be sweeping in! Yay for restraint...

I hope your time at work is good, and that Lexie misses you terribly while having a great time with the nanny.

Saffy said...

All the best for your return to work. It sounds like you've found some great hands to manage Lexie while you're away. Looking forward to hearing how you get on :)

Just g said...

As a professional nanny with 24 years experience, I encourage you to develop a great relationship with your nanny and establish good communication. It is the key to the nanny/employer relationship. You might not be ready to talk to your nanny about your feelings right now but I encourage you to try. If she is a professional nanny she will probably be able to offer you some great support with those feelings you are experiencing.
I have some great resources if you ever need advice or support. I also have a couple of blogs.

caramama said...

Good luck! It's not an easy transition to make, but it will work out!

Hilary said...

Hoping everything goes great for you guys!! :)