Monday, December 31, 2007

Out With the Old

So, 2007 has been a weird year. I feel like I should come up with something profound about new beginnings, but the fact is, it's just another day.

I haven't gone out on New Year's Eve since Y2k, when I had my first ambulance ride. I was accompanying my friend and fellow partier on her ride to the hospital after she passed out in her own vomit on the floor of the party venue's bathroom. I vowed then that I'd never go out on New Year's Eve again. Prior years had been slightly to moderately fun, but I was never actually happy. It felt like an obligation to join in the party on Amateur Night. And I never enjoyed the long slog home after midnight in freezing or wet weather.

So that's it -- I'll be at home on my couch watching (*cringe*) Ryan Seacrest tonight after we take in the Three Sheets bar crawl on the Mojo channel from 9-10 p.m.

I hope everyone has a great 2008. Personally, I'm hoping for no further medical revelations, no more painful procedures, and no major extended-family drama. Fingers crossed that that is not too much to ask.

I also hope to increase my focus on writing in 2008.

Coming soon in this space: It's not Christmas without midget wrestling.

5 comments:

danielobvt said...

Loved the 3 Sheets Bar Crawl in NYC. It was cool that I have been to 2 of the places.

Anonymous said...

I can't stand Ryan. He makes me want to give up my pacifist principles and punch him right in the face. (As you can see, I'm still a work in progress.)

Ted and I stay in too for NYE. He spends hundreds of dollars buying beers from all over the world -- delicious ale made by Belgian monks with nothing better to do, fruity stuff from Africa, some coffee-flavored beer made with blue mountain Jamacian beans -- and we toast the world for several days.

caramama said...

Happy New Year! I hope 2008 gives you everything you are hoping for, and more!

NYE is a boring night for us too, has been for years. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Anonymous said...

Happy New Year! We reluctantly went out to a party, but we ended up having a great time.

Ken said...

My happiest New Year's Eves have been spent at home alone, or with very small groups of non- or light-drinking friends. I played a gig this year which was the only NYE I can remember that was both raucous and enjoyable.

(I spent my Y2K New Year's on the 11th floor of the WFC, waiting for the world to not end.)