Monday, June 11, 2007

Tooling Around All Groggy

My first trip out of the house, post-surgery, was a trip Friday night to the all-organic Elevation Burger, which always seems like a great idea prior to the schlep to Falls Church, and seems like less of a great idea after waiting 15 minutes for our food and driving all the way home as the burgers cool in their paper sack. I made the trip more complicated with my delayed reaction times. Steve doesn't really know the way there, and since it's near my former office, I usually give directions there and back. This time, they went like this:

Me: That was the exit we just passed.

Me: We just drove by the entrance to the Beltway.

Me (as we speed down the right lane): We're supposed to turn left here.

I was definitely still showing some effects from being anesthesized 33 hours earlier.

On Saturday, the big outing was a trip to Giant to get some pine nuts for some homemade pesto. It was late afternoon when we pulled into the parking lot, and the sun was streaming in the car window. Steve looked over and said, "golden hair," reaching out to touch my wayward, unstyled locks. At that point, "Sister Golden Hair" by America started going through my head.

Well I tried to make it Sunday, but I got so damn depressed
That I set my sights on Monday and I got myself undressed
I ain't ready for the altar but I do agree there's times
When a woman sure can be a friend of mine

Well, I keep on thinkin' 'bout you, Sister Golden Hair surprise
And I just can't live without you; can't you see it in my eyes?
I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find
But it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind

Will you meet me in the middle, will you meet me in the air?
Will you love me just a little, just enough to show you care?
Well I tried to fake it, I don't mind sayin', I just can't make it

Well, I keep on thinkin' 'bout you, Sister Golden Hair surprise
And I just can't live without you; can't you see it in my eyes?
Now I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too hard to find
But it doesn't mean you ain't been on my mind

Will you meet me in the middle, will you meet me in the air?
Will you love me just a little, just enough to show you care?
Well I tried to fake it, I don't mind sayin', I just can't make it

That night, after we ate some blackened chicken and pasta with homemade pesto, we were listening to some music, and what should come on but Sister Golden Hair. At the chorus I reached for Steve's hand and pulled him up to dance a bit. I thought it might lift my spirits.

And then along came Wendy. Our quiet little beagle came trotting up and actually started barking and happily pattering around with us, completing a little family triangle. Such as it is.

No comments: